Below is a listing of common questions that we receive and their answers. Feel free to contact us through our online form to get more information from a technical service or sales representative.
The Sherwin-Williams Product Finishes Division serves the following markets:
Where can I purchase product finishing products?
Backed by the largest distribution network, Sherwin-Williams has 75 dedicated Product Finishes facilities and over 3,300 standard paint stores. Find a Product Finishes facility
How do your Product Finishes facilities differ from your retail stores?
Our Product Finishes facilities are staffed with professionals that are familiar with your type of business. Our facilities are equipped with product services rooms (PSR) where stains and coatings are mixed to customer specifications. Our PSR labs have the testing equipment needed to perform standard test methods that your finishes may require.
I run a finishing job shop that requires many custom colors in a fast drying finish. How can I be sure to get batch-to-batch consistency from your facilities?
Once a finish is formulated and approved, it is stored in a secure database. The approved standard is also retained at the facility. Every subsequent batch is blended to specifications set forth by the customer and matched every time with a start of the art color matching system. Our PSR staff checks viscosity, color, and gloss on every batch.
In general, what are some of your newer paint technologies on the market today?
Any new technologies that we have in the market place are located on the home page hear the bottom of the page. Currently, you will find information on our Sher-Wood® Kem Var® Plus Conversion Varnish and RAL Color Program Super Durable TGIC-Free Powder Coatings.
I own a cabinet shop. What are some of the basic guidelines I should follow to avoid finishing problems?
- Make sure all finishing personnel are familiar with the application of the products. Refer to the product data pages as well as consult with Sherwin-Williams Sales/Service Representatives for proper handling
- Have the complete system pre-tested and documented, detailing each operation from white wood sanding to final inspection. Follow written procedures daily.
- Inspect all application equipment on a daily basis. Ensure it is clean and in working order.
- The curing schedule should be routinely monitored. Oven temperatures as well as plant environment conditions should be noted. Variations may require solvent additions. Refer to product data pages.
- Always thoroughly mix materials before application.
- Reduce finishing materials in accordance with Sherwin-Williams product data page.
- Use good housekeeping measures. A clean finishing area produces clean work, reducing lost time caused by rejects, accidents, fire, etc.
- Check stock rotation. Note the batch date (Julian calendar) and part number(s) when materials are received.
- Finishing standards should be utilized at each finishing operation to ensure consistent quality and color
- In refilling left over material, strain into clean containers to the top, and close tightly so that there will be no air leakeage into the container. Label and date. Refer to the product data sheet for proper handling of catalyzed materials.
Because of my demanding schedules and variety of colors my customers need, I am considering looking into an in-house stain mixing. Is this something Sherwin-Williams offers?
Yes. Our Product Finishes sales representative can present our Customer Stain Matching Program, featuring Stainware Software to qualified customers. Please contact your local Sherwin-Williams Product Finishes facility to learn more.
I have a small finishing shop and my workload is outgrowing my space. I plan on remodeling and adding on much more room to dedicate to my finishing area. Can Sherwin-Williams help me upgrade my finish line?
Here at Sherwin-Williams, in conjunction with the best products finishing technology, we give you the tools and processes to put that knowledge to the fullest use. The Sherwin-Williams Product Finishes Design Engineering Group can create a custom finishing line solution or qualified customers - whether you need to streamline, upgrade, or design a new turn-key system.
I run a powder coating job shop and run many colors in a week's time. I need a variety of colors and products within a few days. Can you tell me about your distribution capabilities?
Our powder coating distribution centers are equipped to provide just in time delivery. Color cards are available through your servicing facility, reference dyment/resolve number 656-2235. For custom color powder business, please contact your local Product Finishes sales representative.